Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

You Gotta Want it!

 
So, it all boils down to one thing. You have to WANT to quit, and be ready to commit. Otherwise, you will not be successful no matter what route you take. No program can make you stay sober unless you want to be sober above all else.  Unfortunately, most people have to hit rock bottom or have their lives endangered in order to reach that point. If you haven't read "Dry," by Augusten Burroughs, you should, its a great read. You gotta love the guy, he went through hell and lived to write about it, and has a successful career as an author.
 
I'm no psychologist. I went through the AA 12 step with my Mom. She stayed sober, but in reality became dependent on opioids because of  rheumatoid arthritis. I was in Alateen and Alanon for years and I saw AA work for many people. I do agree that it isn't for everyone. The best part is having a sponsor, someone to call when you have a rough spot. This is what actually helps to keep you AND your sponsor sober, the  partnership and camaraderie. Doing it alone can be very difficult. I used to go on sponsor calls with my mom and we helped the Alcoholic as well as the family members. Mostly kids. So, AA can work for people, it isn't the cure all for everyone but then no program is. It leans largely on faith, sponsorship, and sticking together with like minded people.
 
As you know there are several if not many programs out there that work from a different angle like for instance:
 
Women for Sobriety
SMART
 
Bottom line, you gotta want it!

No comments: