Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Getting to 30 Days

Getting to 30 days sober has been a trip bar none. I can't tell you how many times (ok well I would be embarrassed to tell you) I found my self looking to open a bottle of wine without even reasoning with myself about it. It's like my subconscious took over and I found myself grabbing the bottle and the corkscrew without even thinking about the fact that I had just made a commitment to stop. It was so very difficult to tell myself NO! It's like wrestling with someone else that lives inside me that just does not care what alcohol is doing to me on the inside, not to mention the outside over time. I literally had to get angry with myself and empty the bottle down the sink, all the time thinking what a waste..... Well I decided at that point that I needed help. AA meetings were just not my thing, and neither were all the other organizations that you can join and go to meetings. I needed something that I could access all the time, anytime I needed it! I found it and it worked. Not saying that it will work for everyone but it worked for me. I will write about that plan in my next post. I would love to hear what worked for you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Stephanie! Can't wait to read your next blog post!

Unknown said...

my subconscious is definitely in charge of me! It's like the devil and the angel sitting on your shoulders; the devil's gonna win every time. then you feel worse and like a failure and it just continues on. Right now I'm trying to figure out the underlying reasons why I drink. I have a lot of anxiety, it seems to get worse as I get older, and that's the main reason I drink. Even though I know alcohol exacerbates anxiety. I have been researching non-drug ways to cope with anxiety and I learned about Cognitive Behavior Therapy which is usually done with a therapist. However, there are online CBT sessions available, but you have to be referred by a doctor and get an activation code. I did find one online though that is free, through the university of australia, and I'm currently doing the 6 modules right now, identifying negative and warped thoughts and feelings and working to change them. It's called MoodGym and it's completely free. I like it a lot so far.