Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

About My Sobriety

First I want to thank publicly all the people I have conversed with since this blog began. I have met several people that are on this journey. Some that just began living a sober life and some that are not yet ready to give up the drink completely. If you're are not ready to let go completely then it is a good thing that you are realizing you are not ready. I am not a psychologist but it is general knowledge that if you are not ready to quit drinking alcohol, you won't. I was ready and will never take another drink. Don't get me wrong, I tried to stop drinking several times and fell back into the hell hole repeatedly. I don't need alcohol to be happy and in fact it is a depressant. I remember times when I dealt with my problems by taking a drink. Ok so I'm depressed so I'll medicated myself with a depressant. What kind of sense does that make? NONE

 Sometimes now I just break out in laughter for no reason! My husband thinks I have a screw loose. hahahahah see?

Moving on....I implore you if you are reading this blog right now, I suspect you are concerned if not downright worried that you have a problem. I am going to start reviewing some books that I have read that made me really think about what was very gradually and unsuspecting creeping up on me. They will make you laugh, cry, and relate. Some of these autobiographies I have read are of hard core alcoholics that waited until they were near death before they took steps to save their own lives. Many were trying to kill the memory of a past trauma by killing brain cells, or sedating themselves. Some lost families, loved ones, and jobs. These are all things that start out with just a cocktail at the end of a long day.....Think about it. 

To the right of this blog there is a link called Great Sober reads. There are self help books but also there is a book by Augustan Burroughs that is a great read called, "Dry." It is a great book to start with. I recommend the audio book because he himself is that narrator and it adds a great personal touch. The Audible link is at the top of the page.

No comments: