Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Alcohol and Sugar

About Diet. Something that has made a huge difference for me, and something you may have noticed about any healthy weight loss diet you may encounter, sugar is bad for you.  For so many reasons sugar is detrimental to your health.  Alcohol is just another form of sugar.  It is made from a fermentation process which I will go into later in more detail. We all know that wine is made from grapes(fruit sugar) and that the type of grape that is used determines many aspects of the wine. Rum is totally made from sugar cane.....what does that tell you? 

When we eat, donuts, fermentable carbohydrates, or any other easily broken down form of SUGAR our blood sugar quickly rises, peaks out, and then drops like a rock. The fall in blood sugar causes us to be suddenly hungry and sometimes even weak.  So, a benefit of not drinking is that our blood sugar will start to even out. If we accentuate this by removing other forms of sugar from our diet, we can reduce our craving for sweets and alcohol.  I lost ten,(count them) ten pounds since I stopped drinking and stopped the sugar and fermentable carbs. This doesn't mean that I don't splurge occasionally, I'm no saint.  However, now that I don't drink wine while I cook, which I was totally guilty of, I can sit down and eat a small dinner whereas I used to throw caution to the wind and eat until I was stuffed and the wine was gone.  Wow, what a difference! Rock on Sobriety!

I will be adding some videos of recipes soon too! I've come up with some things to make up for not eating so much sugar because I love something sweet after dinner. We are selling our house so am super busy getting it ready and can't make a mess in the kitchen right now.....darn  :-))

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A few years ago when I dropped over 100lbs, cutting alcohol out of my diet was key into losing weight. Despite the sugar content, alcohol suppresses your metabolism. With first hand experience, alcohol has made me gain weight which I'm burning off now. Good post Steph!