Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Trying to relieve the pain....emotional self medication does not lead to serenity

They always say live in the moment to be truly happy.... At first this was particularly hard for me because I could not stop dwelling on yesterday and tomorrow. Sitting still and clearing your mind is so difficult. Finding a quiet spot in our lives is getting more difficult every day.  Have you ever tried to sit still and think about nothing, nothing at all?

Looking at a tree and realizing how beautiful it is with its branches blowing in the wind and the sun shining with all it's natural power and light is a complete miracle and we get to see it every day, unless of course you live in Alaska.  How do we get to that place in our minds where we can just stop and be still....and nothing can intrude and cause us pain?

I believe we all have things in our past, mistakes we have made, past hurts and trauma. Whether from a family member or something that we ourselves did to someone else that continues to crush us inside constantly and without any sign of mercy. Can we get a grip and somehow find away to stop thinking about that deed or trauma?  Forgiveness is forever sought.

Alcohol acts an anesthetic. For how long does it kill the pain? Does the pain not return upon awakening from a stupor followed by more pain from a throbbing maniacal headache that only time, sleep, water, and aspirin may cure?  I guess this pain takes our mind off the pain that caused us to drink in the first place. When one pain wears off, the next begins, and the anesthetic is again needed.  My, what an obnoxious circle.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
        
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

 

No comments: