Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Road to Making a Sober Decision

Subconscious change has definitely been the answer for me. The first week was the worst but gradually and definitely it got better and better. It started for me with trying to discover what  underlying problems might be causing my craving for alcohol and then gradually looking for a cure or therapy other than AA, or another popular group therapy situation. I was very familiar with AA because my own mother was a recovering alcoholic for 38 years.  I received her 38 year certificate and coin right after her funeral.

The road to making the decision to stay completely sober can be a tough one.  One has to make up their mind that staying sober is more pleasant, and brings more benefit to life than drinking. Realizing that drinking alcohol has incredible power over us that we cannot control is another obstacle, this is why we find ourselves struggling, sometimes even arguing with ourselves over whether we should drink, that we can handle our alcohol, whether we can have just one drink and then stop, and other BS episodes of rationalization and excuses we try and create in our very feeble conscious egotistic minds.  This is why subconscious change is so important. Because willpower(this is our conscious mind trying to tell our subconscious what to do) doesn't work!

I may have mentioned in another post how I have come home grabbed a full wine bottle, opened it, poured it into a glass and slugged down a huge swallow without even consciously thinking about whether it was the best route for me to deal with the days problems. Before I knew it I was on my second glass.....At this point my subconscious had taken over because this behavior is stubbornly and forever engrained there and because my conscious need for relief, fast numbing relief, was greater than my conscious strength to fight the superhuman strength of my subconscious. Ahhhhh that felt good to get out!

No comments: